What is asthma?
Asthma is a chronic condition that is caused by inflammation in your airways.
| It can be allergy-induced, meaning it is caused by the same kinds of things that produce an allergic reaction, such as dust, mould, pet dander or pollen. Or it can be non-allergy-induced, caused by exercise, smoke or a viral infection like a cold. |
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Coughing, usually worse at night
- A tight feeling in the chest
- Excessive coughing/wheezing
- Extreme chest tightness; very labored/fast breathing
- Sweating, gasping; anxiety or fear; decreased activity level
- Pale blue lips/fingertips
- Dust and dust mites
- Pollens (e.g., grass, trees, flowers)
- Cold or hot, humid air
- Animal dander
- Fumes and scents (e.g., perfume)
- Chest infections
It’s important to know what triggers your asthma, and take care to avoid your triggers at all times.
- Inhaled corticosteroids
- Leukotriene receptor antagonists
- Corticosteroid pills
- Short-acting bronchodilators
This information should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your doctor. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances. If you have questions about your symptoms, ask the Pharmacist at Walmart for more information, and/or contact your doctor.