Buying a Game Console
Game Consoles 101: How to buy a game console
Types of Game Consoles
Nintendo Wii U
Microsoft Xbox 360
Microsoft Xbox One
Sony PlayStation 3
Sony PlayStation 4
Game Console Tips & Tricks:
- Always give yourself enough room to take full advantage of your console’s motion-sensing controllers
- Be sure to read all accompanying information for your console before playing
- Hop on to your console’s network to play online, stream videos, and even pick up free games and demos
- You can adjust your console’s parental settings to control which games your child plays, as well as for how long
Game Console Features
Most console systems can work with up to four controllers, which let you interact with the console and its games. Each game console manufacturer produces its own controllers, but there is also a range of third-party controllers available that may be a more economical option for your family. Many types of games even have their own special controllers, from rifles used for hunting games, to guitars and even entire drum sets.
Hard Drive +
Modular and easy to upgrade, the console’s hard drive is where you’ll store your games and data. Movies, music and more can be also be stored here, so you may want a hard drive big enough to accommodate your family’s entire collection.
Video/Audio Output +
These ports allow you to plug your console into a screen or television. Most consoles offer an option of high-definition or standard-definition outputs, so be sure that you have the appropriate cables to suit your system and TV.
Wireless Card +
Most modern consoles come with built-in wireless capability, so your family can go online from the comfort of the living room sofa. Wireless cards function just like the ones in your computer and can connect to any local network available.
Game Console Maintenance Tips:
- Keep your game console somewhere safe and away from foot-traffic
- Place your game console on a hard, smooth surface and dust regularly to avoid over-heating
- Never move your game console while it’s powered on
- Ensure that small children are supervised while playing
- Do not leave your game console continuously powered on for more than six hours
Did you know?