Buying a Speaker Docking Station
Speaker Docking Stations 101
Types of Speaker Docking Stations
Clock Radio Docking Station
Home Theatre Audio System
Speaker Docking Station Buying Tips:
- Consider where you’ll use your docking station; to fill a larger area a more powerful model will be required
- Check the connection compatibility between your device(s) and the docking station
- When shopping in-store, listen to different docking stations before making your purchase to ensure that you’re happy with the sound quality
Speaker Docking Station Features
Video Output Connection +
Some speaker docking stations feature a video output connection that lets you play movies, TV shows and other video from your smartphone or mp3 player on your TV or home monitor. It’s an easy way to put all of favourite media and personal clips onto the big screen.
Remote Control +
Most docking stations come with a remote control, allowing to you to move around the room and still change tracks, adjust volume and control other basic functions on your smartphone or mp3.
Wireless Connectivity +
Bluetooth wireless connectivity gives you the freedom to move around with your smartphone or mp3 player while it remains engaged with the speaker docking station. It won’t be charging, but it essentially gives you remote control of your audio (and visual if outputting to a TV or monitor). Some devices and stations will already be compatible. For others you can attach a compact transmitter to your handheld device which sends signals to your docking station speakers. Some models also feature speakers which can disengage and be placed in an optimal location for sound coverage in your room or space.
If you’re the owner of an iPod, iPhone or iPad, your device will automatically recharge its batteries when it’s plugged in to your docking station. If your device is plugged into your alarm clock docking station it won’t just wake you up with your favourite morning music, it’ll also be fully charged, ready for to you to use throughout the day.
USB Connection +
Some speaker docking stations can be connected to laptops or computers though a USB cable. This lets you update your music or content without having to disconnect from the docking station.
3.5 mm Audio Mini-Jack +
Most speaker docking stations are equipped with a 3.5mm audio line-in to allow connections with any type of mp3 player or portable audio device.
Some models come with a built-in radio so you can listen to your favourite AM or FM stations in addition to all your favourite playlists.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Speaker Docking Station Maintenance Tips:
- Keep dirt, dust and sand away from your docking station
- Keep food and liquids away from your docking station
- Pull your device firmly when removing; do not yank
- Keep your home docking station out of direct sunlight as the batteries will drain faster at a higher temperature
- Clean regularly with a duster, but do not use liquid cleaners
Did you know?
Most docking stations have a headphone port so you can listen to your music without waking up the rest of the family.