Dark Chocolate Mint Mason Jar Cakes
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|12||Mason jars half pint, wide mouth|
|2 tbsp||Butter for greasing Mason jars|
|1 cup||All Purpose Flour|
|0.67 cup||Cocoa Powder unsweetened|
|1 tsp||Baking Soda|
|0.75 tsp||Baking Powder|
|0.25 tsp||Sea salt|
|0.5 cup||Great Value Unsalted Butter|
|1 cup||Billy Bee Liquid Honey|
|2||Great Value Large Egg|
|1.5 tsp||Club House Pure Peppermint & Mint Extract|
|0.5 cup||Oikos 2% Plain Greek Yogurt|
|1 can||Cake Mate White Buttercream Cupcake Icing|
|Cake Mate Décors|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease Mason jars with 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk or sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl or mixer, cream ½ cup (125 mL) butter and honey together until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time until smooth, then stir in mint extract.
- Fold half of the flour mixture in until just combined (do not over mix). Fold in yogurt until combined, then fold in remaining flour. Divide batter evenly into prepared Mason jars, filling each just over halfway full. To make filling easy, use a piping bag.
- Place Mason jars into a roasting pan and fill with hot water, up to 1 ½-in (4 cm) below the top of the pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean. Using oven mitts or a towel, carefully remove Mason jars from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Fill Mason jars with icing and decorate as desired with Cake Mate Décors, up to 12 hours in advance of serving. To store, ice cakes and seal with lids for up to 48 hours in refrigerator.
To make gluten free, substitute all-purpose flour with ¾ cup (175 mL) Club House Rice Flour and ¼ cup (50 mL) Club House Potato Starch. Reduce extract to 1 tsp (5 mL) and cook for 40 minutes.
Take care when handling hot Mason jars and removing pan with hot water from oven.
Allow cakes to cool completely before icing and closing Mason jars.
Mason jars are for decoration only and cakes are not to be treated as a canned good and stored for longer than indicated.
For a festive gift, top Mason jars with an 8-in (20 cm) square piece of fabric and tie with ribbon. Attach a gift tag with greeting and/or cake recipe.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.