Fabric Birthday Banner
- Fold your yellow batik print fat quarter in half widthwise, and cut on fold. Cut a piece of iron tape slightly smaller than this piece. Following instructions on packaging, iron to attach to wrong side of fabric. Let cool. Trace thirteen circles measuring 3” (7.5 cm) with Erasable Fabric Marker. Cut out. Set aside.
- Cut two pieces from precut print fabric lengthwise, 16” (40.5 cm) wide. Cut two pieces of iron tape slightly smaller than these pieces. Following the instructions on packaging, iron to attach to the wrong side of the fabric pieces. Let cool. Fold both pieces in half, lengthwise.
- With pieces folded, trace one triangle near the edge of the fabric with a base measuring 5 ¼” (13 cm) and height of 5” (12.5 cm). (Make sure the base of the triangle is along the folded edge.) Cut along traced line. Repeat twelve times so that you have a total of thirteen folded triangles (or diamond shapes, when flattened) with iron tape. Set aside.
- On your computer, type “happy birthday” in Calibri font, size 200, bold. Print and cut out letters. Place cut out letters with the ink side down on the felt sheet. Trace or pin and cut out.
- Carefully unravel a skein of red embroidery floss. Remove paper backing from one precut fabric diamond and one batik circle. At least 1’ (30 cm) from the end of the floss strand, sandwich the fabric diamond on the floss so that the floss crosses the fold line. On one side, gently place batik circle, then press with iron to bind all layers. Let cool.
- Once cooled, glue felt letter “h” to the center of the circle. Repeat for remaining banner flags “a”, “p”, “p”, “y” leaving little space between banner flags. Repeat on second strand of floss to spell “birthday”.
- Tip! Do not waste leftover pieces of fabric with iron tape. Cut fun shapes and iron on to paper bags, textile table cloths (and more!) to complement the birthday theme.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.