French onion tart
1 hr 20 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|2 cups||All Purpose Flour|
|0.5 tsp||Table Salt|
|171 g||Unsalted butter|
|2 ozs||Ice water|
|1 tsp||White vinegar|
|1 tbsp||Canola Oil|
|1||Red Onion sliced|
|4||Shallots peeled and sliced|
|0.5 tsp||Table Salt|
|0.5 tsp||Granulated Sugar|
|0.5 cup||Whipping Cream 35%|
|2 ozs||1% milk|
|2 cups||Gruyère cheese grated|
- Whirl flour with salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until coarse crumbs form. Gradually add ice water and vinegar, pulsing after each addition. Pulse just until dough starts to come together. Gather into a ball, then press into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 45 min or up to 3 days.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add oil, then onion and shallots. Cook, without stirring, for 5 min. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add salt and sugar. Season with fresh pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onions turn deep brown, 6 to 12 more min. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs with cream and milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lay an 11-in. fluted tart pan on a baking sheet. Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 13-in. circle, about 1/4 in. thick. Carefully lift dough into tart pan. Gently press dough into the corners and up the edges of the pan. Trim and discard excess. Prick the dough with a fork about 15 times. Lay a foot-long piece of parchment paper on the shell and fill with 2 cups dry beans or pie weights.
- Bake in centre of oven for 15 min, then cover with foil. Continue baking until shell is just golden, about 15 more min. Remove to a rack. Reduce heat to 350 F. Lift out parchment and beans. Reserve beans for future use. Sprinkle half of cheese, then onion mixture over warm crust. Add egg mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, then thyme.
- Bake in centre of oven until top is firm, 20 to 22 min. Transfer to a rack. Let tart rest 10 min before serving.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.