Hairstyling Products for Men
Men’s Styling Products 101
Types of Styling Products
Putty (a.k.a. Clay, Mud or Fibre)
Hair Styling Tips :
• If you’re styling with wax, putty or pomade, rub some between your hands before applying. This makes the product easier to work through your hair
• Adding too much product can weigh hair down or make it look greasy. Less is more
• Wash your hair regularly to avoid product build-up
• If you’re washing wax out of your hair, start by applying shampoo to dry hair, rinse, then repeat with wet hair
• Pat your hair dry — don’t rub! This creates frizz and can cause breakage
A touch of shine in your style can help pull your look together, especially if you’re dressing for business casual, semi-formal, or formal occasions. Products like gel, pomade and mousse can all add shine to your coiffure to look a little extra polished.
On the other end of the hairstyle spectrum, a matte product won’t add shine to your hair. This type of product can still be used to create a style that complements formal wear, but it’s also perfect for laid-back looks, like a tousled ’do or a quick, slicked-back style. Putty and wax are usually matte, but it’s always best to check the label first.
Every hair product is formulated with a holding strength: strong, medium, or light. This feature is usually labeled clearly on the packaging, and the variation is more common with hairspray, gel and mousse. If you need your hair to stay in place all day, try a strong hold. If a little movement is okay, try light or medium.
Products like wax, putty and pomade all hold a style in place, but stay pliable after they set, unlike hairspray, gel or mousse. This makes it easier to fix your hair throughout the day, in case you need to re-shape or re-touch your ’do.
Accessories & Related Products: