Maternity Clothes Guide
Maternity Clothes 101
Types of Maternity Clothes
Maternity Pants & Shorts
Maternity Workout Clothes
Maternity Clothes Buying Tips:
• Look for maternity clothing based on your pre-pregnancy size for the best fit
• Choose natural, breathable fabrics like cotton, modal and bamboo for comfort and support
• Look for adjustable features like convertible straps and stretch panels to get the most mileage from your maternity wear
• Buy maternity accessories, such as bra extenders, belly or bump bands and support hose, for maximum comfort
• Buy lightweight maternity clothes that can be layered through changing seasons and stages
Garment Adjustability +
You’ll want to stock your closet with clothes that boast stretchy fabrics and adjustable features to accommodate your changing shape before and after baby’s arrival. Look for pants and skirts with adjustable waistbands, stretchy panels and cinchable side panels that will grow with your baby bump. Look for tops, dresses and undergarments with adjustable straps, built-in support and/or bra extenders to make your maternity clothes go the extra mile.
Garment Versatility +
It’s a good idea to invest in classic maternity clothes that can be mixed and matched and layered for different looks. Stylish separates in neutral colours can be worn day or night and, paired with the right pants or skirt, take you from the playroom to the party room in a pinch. The best maternity basics will also take you through different seasons and different stages of pregnancy. Whether they’re boardroom basics or everyday essentials, it’s important to choose well-made, high-quality pieces that allow for maximum wear and can be worn throughout pregnancy and beyond.
Comfort is critical when it comes to prepping for pregnancy. While it might be tempting to splurge on styles you love at first sight, it’s important to invest in fabrics and styles that are sensible, supportive and comfortable for you and your baby. Skip the stilettos for comfortable sneakers or stylish flats to accommodate your changing centre of gravity and balance. Toss the tight, restrictive clothing for loose, generous cuts that allow for comfort and flexibility. Clothes that combine comfort and style and provide support to your expanding baby bump will help see you through every stage of your pregnancy.
During pregnancy your skin may become as sensitive as a baby’s, so it’s important to treat it to a little TLC. Opt for breathable, natural fabrics less irritable to itchy, sensitive skin, such as cotton, bamboo and modal, over synthetic textiles. Seek out soft, stretchy materials, such as cotton blends and blended jersey that will offer support and shape retention to your changing physique. Certified organic fabrics can also protect you and your baby from chemicals and harsher agents.
Look for high-quality, well-made maternity clothes and hard-wearing fabrics that wash and wear well to take you from your first trimester to your first cuddle with baby. Blended materials, denim, pure or organic cotton and bamboo are your best bets for strong, stretchy fabrics that will span the next nine months and beyond. Invest in a few quality maternity pieces and mix and match accessories from your regular wardrobe for elegant, budget-wise dressing.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Maternity Dressing Tips:
• Wear comfortable flats or sneakers to avoid falls and supportive slip-on shoes to avoid bending over
• Wear lightweight layers to stay cool and comfortable throughout the seasons and stages of pregnancy
• Choose garments that highlight your best features, such as well-defined legs or toned arms
• Seek out classic items that blend comfort and style, such as flat-soled boots and stretchy, maxi dresses
• Choose loose-fitting sleepwear that resists binding during restless nights
• Look for creative ways to feel fashionable and attractive regardless of how you may be feeling