Nightstand Buying Guide
Nightstands & Night Tables 101
Types of Night Stands & Night Tables
Simple Nightstands & Night Tables
Special Nightstands & Night Tables
Night Stand Buying Tips:
- Consider height: your glass of water or phone should be a comfortable reach from your bed
- If your bed sleeps two but you have room for only one night stand, choose a model that's large enough for both your needs
- Keep in mind that not all wood night stands are made the same; there are varying grades and finishes to each type of wood
- If you take tea, water or other drinks to bed, avoid night stand finishes that could be damaged by exposure to moisture
Night Stand Features
Typically, your night stand should be no more than six inches higher or lower than your mattress height. This allows for convenient access to your personal items. Since beds come in a variety of heights, it's best to take a measurement before shopping for your night stand.
Night stands are typically made from wood or wood composites. Contemporary night stands are distinguished by polished chrome and brushed stainless steel accents, while traditional night stands are accented by antiqued iron hardware and brass.
Colour is an important part of your design theme. When buying a night stand for a bedroom that's already furnished, keep the colour palette in mind and select a colour that matches or complements your existing decor. Remember that dark colours such as a black or walnut absorb light, while light colours such as a white or maple brighten a room. As well, metal or mirror-top night stands reflect light.
A night stand with storage gives you a convenient place to stow away jewellery, books, medicine and other items you wish to keep close at hand during your slumber. Your storage options include drawers, cabinets with doors and open shelving.
Bedroom Set +
For a variety of reasons, it can be a good idea to get a night stand as part of a bedroom furniture set. For example, this will ensure your night stand is the correct height for your mattress, and that it matches the bedroom decor. If you decide to buy your night stand separately and you need two, one for either side of the bed, you should purchase matching night stands.
Night Stand Accessories & Related Products:
Night Stand Maintenance Tips:
- Dust regularly to avoid buildup of airborne deposits on surface
- Avoid using all-purpose cleaning sprays unless your night stand has a plastic coating
- Ensure you clean even the non-visible areas of your night stand such as the back of the legs
- Take everything out of your night stand and wipe it inside out every now and then to keep your stand looking pristine
- Try not to overload your night stand with a heavy lamp or books as it could weaken the structure