Roasted Vegetable, Gorgonzola, Pearl Barley Salad
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 15 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|1 cup||pearl barley|
|4.50 cups||Campbell's Ready to Use Low Sodium Beef Broth|
|6 sml||beets quartered|
|2 lrg||fennel bulbs quartered|
|2 cups||fingerling potatoes halved or quartered|
|4||Carrot cut into crayon-sized sticks|
|0.50 cup||Olive Oil divided|
|2 tsp||Balsamic vinegar|
|1 cup||Shallots minced|
|1 cup||Flat leaf parsley|
|0.50 cup||gorgonzola Crumbled|
|Salt & Pepper to taste|
- Bring 4 1/2 cups of Campbell's broth to a boil in a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add pearl barley and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 40-50 minutes until soft but not mushy. Drain excess liquid. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Clean the vegetables, remove nubby ends, and prepare in quarters, halves, and matchsticks as listed. Combine carrots and fennel on one baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt. On a second baking sheet, combine beets and potatoes and coat with more olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Roast fennel and carrots for 20 minutes, the potatoes and carrots for 40 minutes or until each sheet of vegetables, respectively, is browning at the edges.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cooked pearl barely, shallots, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Add roasted vegetables and lightly toss. Sprinkle with parsley and gorgonzola. Toss again briefly. Serve warm.
- Pairs well with grilled chicken
- Several hearty or root vegetables stand up well in this recipe. Consider roasted brussels sprouts as an addition as summer turns to fall. For a lighter dish, omit potatoes.
- Grain Substitution: Kamut, Spelt, or Farro can all be swapped easily.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.