Tips: Back to School
A healthy lunch
Prepare a healthy lunch for your child that includes nutritious foods you know he/she prefers:
• Follow the advice in Canada’s Food Guide. You can download a copy at: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/food-guide-aliment/index-eng.php
• Involve your child in lunch preparation
Encourage your child to be physically active:
• For children aged 5 to 11: Follow the advice from the Public Health Agency of Canada at: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/hp-ps/hl-mvs/pa-ap/05paap-eng.php
• For children aged 12 to 17: Follow the advice at: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/hp-ps/hl-mvs/pa-ap/06paap-eng.php
Encourage good sleep and waking routines:
- Have your child go to bed at the same time each night and try to ensure 8 to 9 hours of sleep
- Wake your child with enough time so that he/she does not feel rushed in the morning
Encourage good hygiene:
• Remind your child to wash his/her hands with warm water and soap often, and before meals and after using the toilet, or blowing his/her nose
• Provide hand sanitizer in your child’s knapsack, for those times when soap and water are not available
• Remind your child not to share hats, helmets, combs, hair brushes etc., to help avoid bringing home lice. If your child does contract head lice, the Pharmacist at Walmart has information and products to help you get rid of head lice.
Be prepared to keep your children healthy during the school year. Make sure you have the following on hand for overall wellness and to treat cold and flu symptoms, minor cuts, etc.:
• Children’s multivitamins
• Children’s acetaminophen/ibuprofen
• Antibiotic ointment or cream
• Plastic bandages
The Pharmacist at Walmart can provide information about back-to-school healthy starts and help you select products that will help you keep your child healthy during the school year. Just Ask !
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.