Tips: The ABCs of Diabetes
Talk to your doctor about what your target A1C should be.
The target cholesterol levels for most people with diabetes:
- LDL-C (“bad cholesterol”) of 2.0 mmol/L or less
- Total cholesterol/HDL-C ratio of less than 4.0
Eye exams should be scheduled as follows:
- Type 1 diabetes: at 5 years after first diagnosis, then once a year
- Type 2 diabetes: at first diagnosis, then every 1–2 years if no eye disease is present
Good blood glucose control means keeping your blood glucose within a certain target range, usually between:
- 4.0 to 7.0 mmol/L before a meal
- 5.0 to 10.0 mmol/L after a meal
This information should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your doctor. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances. If you have questions about your symptoms, ask the Pharmacist at Walmart for more information, and/or contact your doctor.