USB Flash Drive Buying Guide
USB Flash Drives 101
Types of USB Flash Drives
USB Flash Drive Buying Tips:
• Make sure the USB connector comes with a cap or another protective shield
• A flashing LED feature tells you when data transfer is taking place
• USB 2.0 drives are great for basic use and compatible with almost every device
• USB 3.0 drives offer the highest speed and are superior for moving larger files
• Store entertainment files on a fun or novelty-shaped USB flash drive as a visual reminder
• If security is important, look for a USB drive with data encryption, password protection, or other security features
Flash Drive Features
Storage Capacity +
Available storage for USB drives varies greatly, from a few gigabytes to 64 (or more!). If you’re just moving documents, photos, or a few songs or videos, you can save money by selecting a drive with less capacity. For those who are moving large amounts of documents, entire music libraries, or multiple movies or TV shows, bigger is often better. Consider 128 GB or greater.
USB flash drives are constructed of different materials, from plastic to aluminum. If you carry it everywhere, consider a model with a durable, metal case. For home use, plastic USB flash drives are usually less expensive. For general protection when it’s not in use, see that the plug on your flash drive has a protective cap; on some models the plug retracts or rotates into a safe position to prevent dust and debris from getting inside.
Transfer Speed +
USB 2.0 technology provides transfer speeds up to 480Mbps and is suitable for moving smaller files. If you use your drive often for moving multiple large files, USB 3.0 may be a better option, and can reach speeds up to 4.8Gbps.
Portability and Storage +
USB drives are small enough to take anywhere, which also makes them prone to loss or theft. If you carry it all the time, then a keychain attachment may be convenient. If you usually toss it into a bag or laptop case, a secure clip may be a better choice.
Security is important, especially when dealing with personal files or photos. Many models of USB flash drives offer security features like encryption, password protection, and even fingerprint recognition. Consider the extra cost for peace of mind about the security of your data when you’re on the go.
While many USB flash drives feature simple ergonomic designs, others are more stylized and colourful. Whether it’s gold plating or an LED display that shows remaining flash memory, there’s a USB drive that matches your keychain, bag, or computer case.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
USB Flash Drive Uses:
• Store backups of your files to avoid losing them if your desktop or laptop fails
• Download free software that turns your USB flash drive into a key for your computer
• Keep a copy of your computer operating system on a USB flash drive for quick re-installs
• Create a mobile workspace on your USB flash drive by installing portable apps