Buying a Coffee Maker
Coffee Makers 101
Types of Coffee Makers
Drip Coffee Makers
Single-Serve Coffee Makers
Coffee Maker Safety Considerations:
• Place your coffee maker on a hard, heat-resistant surface
• Ensure your coffee maker is beyond the reach of small children
Coffee Maker Features
Programmable settings +
A built-in timer allows you to choose when you want the machine to start brewing so you can wake up to the aroma of fresh coffee. It’s also a great option for preparing coffee ahead of time for family gatherings and dinner parties.
Automatic shutoff +
This is an excellent safety feature for busy families. It makes for one less thing to worry about because the heating element turns off automatically. Most coffee makers have a fixed time span before they shut off, but some machines do provide a timer.
Thermal carafe +
If you like to brew a pot of coffee for drinking throughout the day, you may want to choose a coffee maker that brews into an insulated carafe rather than a glass one. It will keep your coffee hotter and fresher compared to leaving it on a heating element for a long period of time.
Small-batch settings +
This setting is available on some coffee makers as an option if you’re brewing only one to four cups of coffee rather than a full pot. It ensures that your coffee isn’t too weak or too strong.
Water filters +
If you’re not already using filtered water to make coffee, some coffee makers offer a built-in filter designed to eliminate the chlorine or iron taste from coffee.
Permanent coffee filters +
If you don’t like the taste of paper or want to reduce waste, some coffee makers do come with a permanent coffee filter. They are made of fine-mesh plastic or metal and are available in both cone and basket shapes. Permanent filters can be purchased separately if not already included with your new coffee maker.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Cleaning Your Coffee Maker:
- Purchase a descaling solution or make a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water
- You should clean your coffee maker or espresso machine every month to remove scales and impurities
- Insert a filter into your coffee maker
- Pour the solution into the water reservoir
- Turn on your coffee maker and let the solution cycle through
- Discard the filter and solution once complete
- Repeat the process using plain water