Caramelized Onion & Bacon Strata Cups
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|8 strips||Great Value Naturally Smoked Bacon|
|1||Sweet onion peeled & diced|
|1||Sweet red pepper peeled & diced|
|3||Clove Garlic minced|
|6 cups||Crusty whole wheat bread day-old crusty whole wheat bread, cut into 1” (2.5 cm) dice|
|6||Great Value Large Egg well beaten|
|0.5 cup||5% light cream|
|0.5 cup||Great Value 3-Cheese Blend Shredded Cheese|
|3||Green Onions thinly sliced|
|0.5 tsp||Great Value Iodized Sea Salt|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 12-cup muffin pan thoroughly with non-stick canola oil spray.
- Cook bacon until crispy according to package directions. Reserve 1-2 Tbsp (15-30 mL) fat. Drain bacon on paper towel then roughly chop. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the reserved bacon fat over medium-high. Add diced onion and red pepper. Sauté 10-15 minutes, stirring often, or until well caramelized. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute longer. Transfer to large mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- In small bowl, whisk together eggs and cream. Add to caramelized onion mixture along with bacon and remaining ingredients; stir well to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes, stirring several times, or until egg and cream is absorbed.
- Divide mixture evenly between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20-24 minutes or until egg is set. Carefully run a knife around each strata to loosen. Remove them from the pan using the tip of a knife. Serve warm.
- Yields 12 individual stratas (6 servings)
- Use day-old or stale bread for this, fresh bread is too moist and won’t suck up all the egg mixture.
- All ingredients can be assembled the day ahead, chilled, then baked fresh in the morning. If baking from cold, increase bake time by 4-6 minutes.
- Instead of using a muffin pan, bake in a 9 x 13” (22 x 33cm) baking dish for 40-50 minutes or until golden and egg is set.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.