Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 15 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|2 tbsp||Becel® Buttery Taste margarine|
|1 sml||Sweet onion chopped|
|1||Clove Garlic finely chopped|
|2 tbsp||All Purpose Flour|
|1 cup||2% Milk|
|0.75 cup||Reduced sodium chicken broth|
|1 tsp||Fresh thyme leaves|
|1 Pinch||Ground Black Pepper|
|5 ozs||Reduced fat cheddar cheese shredded|
|2 lbs||Potatoes Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced (about 1/8 inch/3 mm thick)|
|2 tbsp||Plain dry bread crumbs|
- Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C). Melt Becel® Buttery Taste margarine* in 3 quart (3 L) saucepan over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Whisk in milk gradually. Add broth and bring to a boil. Stir in thyme and black pepper. Remove from heat, then stir in 4 oz (125 g) cheese; set aside.
- Lightly spray 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) shallow casserole with no-stick cooking spray. Arrange ½ of the potatoes in overlapping pattern in casserole. Stir cheese mixture, then pour 1/2 over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cheese mixture.
- Bake uncovered 45 minutes. Combine remaining cheese with bread crumbs; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown.
- *Substitution: Use 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) dried thyme or rosemary leaves, crushed.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.