Classic Pumpkin Pie
1 hr 10 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
SINGLE PIE CRUST
|1.33 cups||Robin Hood® Original All Purpose Flour (325 mL)|
|0.5 tsp||Salt (2 mL)|
|0.5 cup||Crisco® All Vegetable Shortening (125 mL), well chilled|
|5 tbsp||Ice water (45-90 mL), divided|
|1.75 cups||pumpkin purée (425 mL), pure|
|1 cup||Brown Sugar (250 mL), packed|
|2 tbsp||Robin Hood® Original All Purpose Flour (30 mL)|
|1 tsp||Club House Ground Cinnamon (5 mL)|
|0.5 tsp||Club House Ground Ginger (2 mL)|
|0.5 tsp||Club House Ground Nutmeg (2 mL)|
|0.25 tsp||Club House ® ground cloves (1 mL)|
|0.5 tsp||Salt (2 mL)|
|1 can||Carnation® Regular, 2% or Fat Free Evaporated Milk|
- Mix flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut chilled shortening into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes. Work in shortening cubes into flour mixture, using a pastry blender or two knives, in an up and down chopping motion, until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with some small pea-sized pieces remaining.
- Sprinkle half the maximum recommended amount of ice cold water over the flour mixture. Using a fork, stir and draw flour from bottom of bowl to the top, distributing moisture evenly into flour. Press chunks down to bottom of bowl with fork. Add more water by the tablespoonful (15 mL), until dough is moist enough to hold together firmly when pressed together.
- Bring dough together. Flatten ball into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick round disk.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes or up to 2 days for ease in rolling.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Roll dough from centre outward with steady pressure on a lightly floured surface (or between two sheets of wax or parchment paper) into a circle 2-inches wider than the pie plate. Transfer dough to pie plate by loosely rolling around rolling pin. Centre the rolling pin over the pie plate, and then unroll, easing dough into pie plate.
- Trim edges of dough leaving a 3/4-inch (2 cm) overhang. Fold edge under itself. Flute dough as desired.
- Whisk together, in a large bowl, pumpkin purée, sugar, eggs, flour, spices and salt until smooth and well combined. Gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Fill pie shell with mixture.
- Bake in bottom third of preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Cool on wire cooling rack.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.