Combat Sports Buying Guide
Combat Sports 101
Types of Combat Sports Gear 1
Boxing and Sparring Gloves
MMA Fight and Grappling Gloves
Heavy Bags & Speed Bags
Types of Combat Sports Gear 2
Combat Sports Benefits:
• Learning MMA is quite complex so it enhances analytical thinking, logic and decision-making
• Different types of karate and judo provide a hard workout but also involve a lot of aerobic-type movements
• For a more gentle style, consider tai chi to build strength, learn how to block blows and throw kicks
Combat Sports Gear Features
Combat Sports Uniforms +
Combat sports require strength, discipline, and agility. They also require specific apparel that must adhere to strict guidelines. The uniform also signifies the skill level, rank, and the sport practiced. Uniforms for karate, judo, and jujitsu are very similar. Uniforms for kung fu, taekwondo, and mixed martial arts are very different and include using protective gear.
Karate and Judo Uniforms +
Karate and judo uniforms, called gi, are usually 100% cotton canvas because it’s breathable and absorbs sweat. The uniform is comprised of a loose-fitting V-neck shirt and loose-fitting pants with either a drawstring or elastic band at the waist.
Jui jitsu Uniforms +
A jui jitsu uniform is similar to a judo gi but smaller, lighter in weight, and more form fitting with shorter sleeves. Judo uniforms can be worn to practice jujitsu, but not the other way around due to stricter judo rules.
Taekwondo Uniforms and Gear +
Taekwondo uniforms, sometimes called doboks, are similar to those used for judo. Beginner uniforms are white. Those that are coloured or have black collars designate black belt status and different skill levels. Other gear required includes a chest guard, or hogu, to protect vital organs, plus headgear and a mouth guard.
Kung Fu Uniforms +
Kung Fu uniforms are more ornate than those for other martial arts. They are usually cotton or silk in various different cuts and colours. Cotton is best when training. Traditionally the uniform includes a jacket with knot-style buttons, wide cuffs, and pants with elastic ankle and waistbands. Shoes are slipper-like with cotton or plastic soles.
MMA Uniforms +
MMA students usually wear either a karate or taekwondo uniform. Depending on the training, protective gear can consist of headgear, mouth guards, fist protectors, knee guards, shin guards, groin guards for males and females, and chest guards for females.
MMA Footwear +
MMA footwear can be found in a variety of materials including leather, foam and cloth. Leather sparring shoes are the most durable and comfortable, but offer less traction than foam-dipped footwear. Foam-dipped footwear is durable and provides more protection than cloth but it’s not as secure.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Combat Sports Gear Maintenance Tips:
• Don’t wash your equipment in a washing machine because it will damage the padding
• Wipe boxing gloves inside and out with disinfectant after use: spray inside with a disinfectant spray and then stuff the gloves with newspaper to absorb the moisture
• Flip head gear inside out to expose the padding, and spray with a disinfectant cleaner
Combat Sports for Children