Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
- Bring dates and 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water to a boil in medium saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickened and only few pieces of dates remain, about 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Let stand to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C). Lightly spray 9 inch (23 cm) square baking dish with no-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar and baking soda in medium bowl. Cut in Becel® Original margarine and 2 tablespoons (30 mL)water with pastry blender or finger tips until mixture is size of small peas. Press 1/2 of the mixture onto bottom of dish. Top evenly with cooled date mixture. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture over date mixture; press gently.
- Bake until crumb is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before cutting.
- An old-fashioned square that's perfect for a lunch box or picnic.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.