Easy, Old-Fashioned Chicken Rice Soup
1 hr 40 min
1 hr 30 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|1||Whole chicken (3 - 4 lb (1.4 - 1.8kg) roasted and quartered|
|2 tsp||Great Value Extra Virgin Olive Oil (30 ml)|
|2||Celery stalks, sliced|
|1||Garlic clove, smashed - or 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) powdered garlic|
|3 cups||Water (750 ml)|
|3 cups||Chicken Broth (750 ml) low-sodium|
|0.25 cup||Fresh Italian parsley (50 ml) chopped - fresh is best|
|0.5 cup||Basmati rice (100 ml)|
- Buy one whole, roasted or barbecued chicken from the grocery store (that’s the easy part) or roast one yourself.
- Using a large pot, heat the olive oil over low to medium heat.
- Add the celery, carrots and onion and cook until the onion and celery are tender and translucent.
- Add the chicken pieces and garlic and cook for about 2 or 3 minutes. Stir often.
- Add water, chicken stock and bring to a light boil. Cover and let simmer for about an hour.
- After an hour take out the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Once the chicken pieces are cool enough to touch, remove skin and bones.
- Cut up the meat and add back to the pot.
- Stir in parsley and rice.
- Cook until rice is tender (usually about 20 minutes).
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.