Fun under the Sun
Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide
- Slip on sun-protective clothing
- Slop on sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher broad spectrum sunscreen) TIP: Apply early, reapply often, i.e., 20 minutes before going out in the sun, and then reapply every 2 hours and again after swimming
- Slap on a broad-brimmed hat
- Seek shade
- Slide on sunglasses
UV protective clothing is given a UV protection factor. Like SPF, the higher the UPF, fewer UV rays reach the skin.
- Tightly woven fabrics - If you can see light through it, UV rays can get through, too
- Dense fibre fabrics - Denser or heavier fabric gives better protection
Sunscreen: a recap
- Apply sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 whenever you’re out in the sun
- Apply it about 15 to 30 minutes before going outside and cover all skin that isn’t protected by clothing
- Always apply sunscreen generously
- Reapply often – at least every 2 hours
- Reapply after a swim or sweating
- Use a water resistant sunscreen if kids will be around water or swimming. Water resistant sunscreens may last up to 80 minutes in the water (check the label to be sure)
Protect your head
Hats with holes allow UV rays to get through to your head and face. Be sure to choose a hat you love and that offers you the best protection.
Staying out of the sun
- The sun is strongest between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. try to limit outdoor activities during this time
- If you have to be outside stay in the shade – if shade is scarce bring a beach umbrella or a portable sun shelter
- Watch out for reflections of the sun’s rays from sand, water, snow or concrete. These can cause sun damage, too
This information should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your doctor. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances. If you have questions about your symptoms, ask the Pharmacist at Walmart for more information, and/or contact your doctor.
†The pharmacist at Walmart does not endorse or recommend any sponsor or their products or services.
Any representation, performance claim, warranty or guarantee in any materials herein is the sole responsibility of the sponsor that has prepared such materials and is not independently verified by Walmart.
EpiPen®, EpiPen® Jr are registered trademarks of Mylan, Inc. licensed exclusively to its wholly-owned affiliate, Mylan Specialty, L.P.; sub-licensee, Pfizer Canada Inc., Kirkland, Quebec H9J 2M5
Buscopan® is a trademark used under license by Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd
©2014 Boehringer Ingelheim (Canada) Ltd. All rights reserved.
Electrolyte Gastro® is a registered trademark of Pharmascience Inc.Credible Canadian references on file
PENDOPHARM, Division of Pharmascience Inc.