Jerk-spiced turkey and gravy
2 hr 30 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|6||Green Onions coarsely chopped|
|5 cloves||Garlic cloves|
|2||Habanero peppers seeds discarded|
|3 tbsp||Canola Oil|
|2 tbsp||Ginger minced|
|1 tbsp||White vinegar|
|1 tsp||Allspice ground|
|1 tsp||Brown Sugar|
|1 tsp||Dried thyme leaves|
|0.5 tsp||Ground nutmeg|
|1 tsp||Salt divided|
|0.25 cup||All Purpose Flour|
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 400F. Place a rack in a roasting pan.
- Whirl onions with garlic, habanero, oil, ginger, vinegar, allspice, sugar, thyme, nutmeg and cinnamon in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Wash and dry turkey well. Discard giblets. Wearing gloves, rub onion mixture underneath and over the skin of turkey. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt. Transfer turkey to rack in pan. Bend and tuck wings under the bird. Cover tightly with foil.
- Roast in bottom third of oven for 30 min. Reduce heat to 325F. Roast for 2 hours, then remove foil. Continue roasting, uncovered, basting occasionally, until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 175F, about 45 more min, for a total cook time of about 20 min per 500 g. Transfer turkey to a cutting board. Tent loosely with foil and let rest at least 25 min before carving.
- Spoon fat out of the roasting pan, leaving behind about 1/4 cup fat as well as all the brown bits. Place the pan on the stove over medium and stir in flour, whisking to completely incorporate flour into drippings. Cook for 30 sec., then whisk in water. Increase heat to medium-high, whisking constantly, until thickened, scraping up and incorporating all the brown bits from the pan, 10 to 15 min. Reduce heat to low. If needed, whisk in additional water to reach the desired consistency. Season to taste with remaining 1/2 tsp salt.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.