Jewellery Box Buying Guide
Jewellery Boxes 101
Types of Jewellery Boxes
Lift Top Jewellery Boxes
Multi-drawer Lift Top Jewellery Boxes
Musical Jewellery Boxes
Individual Jewellery Storage
Jewellery Travel Cases
Stands and Trees
Jewellery Box Buying Tips:
• Look for a hard exterior, such as wood or leather, and a soft, textured interior, such as velvet or felt, for the best protection
• Choose a jewellery box that matches your existing decor
• Consider a travelling jewellery organizer if you’re short on space
• Look for a gender-neutral style if your jewellery box will be storing men’s and women’s jewels
• Look for a lock and key system to keep precious pieces out of little hands
Jewellery Box Features
Outer Materials +
Jewellery boxes are available in a variety of materials, such as wood, glass, leather, porcelain and precious metals, depending on your needs and budget. Leather and wood jewellery boxes such as teak, provide sturdy storage and are designed to last with proper care. Mirrored glass and porcelain jewellery boxes make beautiful additions to your bedroom dresser, but they are delicate and may not last as long as the jewellery they’re designed to hold.
Inner Materials +
Jewellery boxes are lined with various fabrics, including silk, satin, velvet and felt, to protect your precious gems. Fabric linings help hold your jewellery in place while preventing damage to delicate gemstones and jewels. Look for textured fabrics, such as felt and faux suede, to keep your trinkets from sliding around. Velvet and satin linings are best for protecting fine gold and silver pieces, while textured felt and faux suede prevent tarnishing and keep jewels well protected. Silk lining may be too slippery to keep your jewels from sliding around and may not prevent tarnishing.
Jewellery boxes and organizers are designed to protect your valuables, so look for features that will keep them safe and secure. Look for drawers and doors that fit tightly and fasten securely. Look for top lids with strong hinges that will hold them in place so they won’t fall on your hands when you’re reaching for bracelets and brooches. For added security, look for jewellery boxes with a lock and key to keep your valuables extra safe. Jewellery stands, such as earring and necklace stands, should be well constructed with a wide base to prevent them from tipping over.
A jewellery box should have individual compartments that let you store your jewellery separately to prevent scratches to settings, keep silver from tarnishing and avoid damage to gemstones. Soft metals, such as gold and silver, and delicate gems, such as pearls, can be dented by harder materials, such as diamonds, so it’s best to keep them separate for safekeeping. The best jewellery boxes have compartments that are lined with soft, textured fabrics, such as felt and velvet to keep rings, bracelets and pendants well protected and secured in place. Extra padding can also help provide added protection. Compartments can also keep your jewellery well organized, coordinated in matching sets and easy to access for any occasion.
Jewellery boxes are adorned with all kinds of accents that are designed for both form and function. Mirrors allow you to try on your jewellery where it’s stored to help you decide what to wear for an evening out. Many offer a variety of specialty storage solutions, including ring boxes, bracelet tubes and hooks for hanging necklaces. Typically lined with velvet, ring boxes have individual slots for rings to protect them and polish each ring as it’s removed from the box. Fabric-covered tubes can help keep bangles and bracelets free from scratches. Hooks are helpful for hanging delicate pearls, necklaces and chains to keep them from tangling.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Jewellery Box Care Tips:
• After removing jewellery, wipe the interior and exterior with a gentle soap-and-water solution and let dry
• Dust the exterior regularly with a soft, damp cloth
• Clean mirrors regularly with a glass cleaner or vinegar solution
• Keep your jewellery box in a dry place to avoid damage
• Store your jewellery box at room temperature, away from direct sunlight
• Use anti-tarnish strips in your jewellery box to help prevent tarnishing from silver