Lemon-Herb Brined Chicken
13 hr 5 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
- Remove and discard skin from all chicken pieces except wings. Add all chicken pieces to large resealable plastic bag; place in shallow dish.
- Bring 2 cups water, lemon peel, salt, garlic and herbs to boil in saucepan. Remove from heat; pour into large bowl. Add remaining water, dressing and ice; stir until ice is melted.
- Pour over chicken; seal bag. Refrigerate overnight. Remove chicken from dressing mixture; discard dressing mixture. Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Let stand at room temperature 20 min. Meanwhile, heat greased barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken 2 min. on each side. Reduce barbecue to medium heat. Grill chicken 8 to 18 min. or until done (165°F), turning occasionally and removing chicken pieces from barbecue when done. (Smaller pieces will cook more quickly. See tip for suggested grill times.)
Chicken can be refrigerated in the brine up to 24 hours before grilling as directed.
The grilling time needed for the chicken will vary with the parts: the wings will take about 12 to 15 min. to cook, the thighs and drumsticks will take about 15 to 17 min., and the breasts will take about 18 to 22 min. The easiest way to ensure that cooked poultry is done is to check the internal temperature. Using an accurate food thermometer will take away the guesswork. Simply insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the poultry, avoiding any bones if present. For whole poultry, insert the thermometer into the thickest part of one of the thighs, again taking care to avoid any bones
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.