Playsets & Swings Buying Guide
Playsets & Swings 101
Types of Playsets & Swings
Playsets & Swings Safety Tips:
• Always supervise young children
• Make sure to follow age, height and weight restrictions for the equipment
• Dress your child appropriately: avoid hoods and drawstrings which could become tangled in equipment
• Check the equipment frequently for loose bolts, screws or fittings
• Clear the equipment of any backyard debris like leaves, branches etc. before allowing kids to play
• Dry the equipment after a rainfall before allowing kids to play
Plastics and Resins +
Most playhouses are made of different types of plastics or resins. Look for models that offer durable, double wall poly construction and 100% UV protection to ensure the colour won’t fade over time.
Many larger playsets offer wood construction. Renewable Western Red Cedar is a popular choice for its beauty and durability. It is also naturally resistant to decay and insects, and will accept a wide range of finishes. Most models are shipped in knock down panels that only need to be screwed together.
Powder-Coated Galvanized Steel +
Many swing sets are constructed from powder-coated galvanized steel. This makes them smooth and heat-resistant, so your children can play safely on a sunny day. The powder coating helps prevent rust and resists weather damage that could lead to cracking, chipping or peeling.
Rubber Coating +
Many swing sets feature rubber coating on the chains to make them soft and less likely to pinch little fingers. The rubber coating also helps protect the chains from rusting.
No Hardware Assembly +
Many of the smaller plastic playsets and playhouses don't require hardware to assemble. You simply snap the pieces together; it takes about 20 minutes. This is a great advantage if you need to assemble and disassemble your playset on a regular basis.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Playsets & Swings Maintenance Tips:
• Put a protective paint coating or sealant on wooden surfaces
• Check the nuts and bolts, chains and seats of your swingsets regularly for looseness and wear
• Bring detachable plastic pieces of swingsets indoors in freezing weather
• Metal components of swing sets should be oiled regularly
• Replace sand or mulch in play area as required
Avoid User Modifications