Spiced Cranberry Holiday Cake
1 hr 25 min
1 hr 15 min
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|2 cups||Great Value Frozen Cranberries divided|
|0.25 cup||Great Value Seedless Sultana Raisins|
|0.25 cup||Golden yellow sugar|
|2 tbsp||Orange Juice|
|1 pkg||Great Value Golden Cake Mix|
|0.75 cup||1% milk|
|0.5 cup||Great Value Unsalted Butter|
|3||Great Value Large Egg|
|2 tsp||Great Value Ground Ginger|
|1 tsp||Great Value Ground Cinnamon|
|1 tsp||Orange zest|
|1 tbsp||Great Value Golden Corn Syrup|
|1 tbsp||Orange Juice|
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C.) Spray a 6-cup (1500 mL) tempered glass bowl with non-stick canola oil spray, set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1-cup (250 mL) cranberries, raisins, sugar and orange juice; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed beat together cake mix, milk, melted butter, eggs, spices, and orange zest for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes longer or until smooth. Fold in remaining 1-cup (250 mL) cranberries.
- Pour cranberry mixture into bottom of prepared glass bowl. Gently add the cake batter over top and even out using the back of a spoon. Bake in center of preheated oven for 65-75 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in bowl on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. If the top domed excessively, carefully slice it off using a serrated knife. Gently run the tip of a knife around the edge to loosen the cake. Place a serving platter upside down on top of the bowl; carefully invert and unmold.
- For the glaze, mix together corn syrup and orange juice. Microwave on high for 15-30 seconds or until hot. Brush over sides of cake immediately after unmolding.
- Serve warm drizzled with Great Value Devon Style Custard or a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
- Yields 8 servings
- If you don’t have a tempered glass bowl, make this in a 9 x 13” (22 x 33 cm) glass baking dish instead.
- If you don’t like raisins, replace them with Great Value Sweetened Dried Cranberries.
- For a more adult flavour, replace orange juice with rum or brandy.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.