Storage Bench Buying Guide
Storage Benches 101
Types of Storage Benches
Living Room Bench
Kids' Storage Bench
Outdoor Storage Bench
Storage Bench Buying Tips:
• Choose open cubbies for quick access or to display items
• Select covered storage to conceal items when not in use
• Outdoor benches should be made of durable waterproof materials
• Add overhead shelving or hooks to increase storage capacity
• Consider how you will use your bench to determine the best seat cushioning and storage space configuration
Storage Bench Features
Storage benches are available in a variety of styles to suit a wide range of decor themes and purposes. When shopping, consider whether your priority is style or function. For an accent piece, you could choose a sleek storage bench design with minimal storage. If additional seating is important to you, look for padded seating, armrests and back support. If storage is your goal, you'll benefit from a bench with multiple cubbies, a large single compartment, additional shelving, drawers or hooks.
Storage benches are a handy way to add storage capacity, both open and concealed, to your home. A lift-top storage bench with a single large storage compartment is a convenient means of hiding away items such as blankets, out-of-season clothing, toys and garden tools. A shoe bench with multiple open cubbies will keep your footwear off the floor, easily accessible and neatly arranged in pairs. Other storage options include shelves, drawers, doors, bins and baskets.
Storage benches are made from a variety of materials, including solid wood, composite wood and synthetic resins. Wood provides durability for functional storage benches and an elegant look for decor pieces. Composite materials are less expensive but more prone to wear and tear. Durable, weather-resistant resins are a good choice for outdoor storage benches. Children's storage benches can feature removable plastic or fabric storage baskets that are safe for little hands. A bedroom bench might be covered in fashionable faux leather with a padded top for comfortable seatting. Accent materials such as metal hardware and wicker baskets are attractive ways to add visual interest to your storage bench.
If you plan to do a lot of sitting on your storage bench, you'll want to consider your options for comfortable seating. A kitchen storage bench that doubles as a chair would benefit from padding and upholstery on the seat, armrests and backrest. Removable cushions are another way to add comfort to a hard bench, and also allow for ease of cleaning in case of spills or stains. If you just need a spot to rest on briefly in your mudroom while donning or doffing footwear, a simple, easy-to-clean wood or resin seat gets the job done.
Shop Accessories & Related Products:
Storage Bench Maintenance Tips:
• Clean and polish wood storage benches regularly
• Avoid storing damp items in a covered storage bench to prevent mould
• Promptly dry spills on wood or composite wood benches to prevent damage
• Brighten dingy outdoor resin benches with a mixture of 3/4 cup bleach, 1 tablespoon laundry detergent, and 16 cups warm water
• Remove outdoor wooden benches from standing water
• Clean composite wood benches with a damp cloth and mild cleaner
• Ensure any screws and hinges are tightened and secure
• Wash removable seat cushions and covers regularly