Tips for Preventing UTIs
General UTI prevention tips
- Drink plenty of water to flush out the germs in your urinary tract. Drinking cranberry juice or taking a cranberry supplement may also help prevent UTIs.*
- Urinate when you feel the urge and try not to hold your urine. Most things you may be doing can wait as you take a moment to urinate.
- Wear loose-fitting and breathable underwear with a cotton crotch.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting pants.
- If you feel burning and pain when urinating, let your doctor know right away to make sure that you don’t have a UTI.
Personal hygiene and UTI prevention tips
- Personal hygiene is important before and after sexual intercourse. Urinate after intercourse.
- Be sure to wipe from front to back after using the bathroom.
- Take showers rather than baths to lessen the chance of germs entering your urinary tract.
This information should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your doctor. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances. If you have questions about your symptoms, ask the Pharmacist at Walmart for more information, and/or contact your doctor.