What’s in a Cigarette?
Do it for you! Begin a smoke-free life
Quitting smoking is not easy! But the Pharmacist at Walmart has specialized smoking cessation training and can help you make a quit plan?
The Pharmacist at Walmart has 3 ways to support you in taking the first step towards a healthier life.
- Visit the pharmacist at your convenience to ask about ways to become smoke-free. The pharmacist will discuss what to expect when quitting smoking plus suggest a variety of support options.
- Learn more by reading online articles like this one in our Lung Health Centre.
Chemicals in a cigarette
A cigarette has over 4000 chemicals, many of which are toxic and cancer-causing agents. Some examples are:
Cycle of addiction
Quit smoking and good things start to happen!
After you quit smoking,
- Within 8 hrs, levels of poisonous gases (e.g., carbon monoxide) drop and oxygen levels return to normal in your body.
- Within 48 hours, your chances of having a heart attack go down. Your sense of taste and smell starts to improve.
- Breathing becomes easier in 72 hours.
- Within 6 months, coughing and congestion decrease, while tiredness and breathing improve.
- Within 1 year, your good cholesterol (HDL) levels will rise by about 5%.
- Studies show that erectile dysfunction happens less frequently 1 year after quitting, too.
- In 15 years, your risk of risk of dying from a heart attack becomes equal to someone who has never smoked.
Smoking costs a lot of money.
Save that money and use it to reward yourself!
Even more benefits
Beyond the obvious health and financial benefits that occur when you quit smoking, you may find that there are other benefits, too.
You’ll look and feel younger, because:
You may improve your relationships, since you’ll:
This information should not be used as a substitute for the medical care and advice of your doctor. There may be variations in treatment that your physician may recommend based on individual facts and circumstances. If you have questions about your symptoms, ask the Pharmacist at Walmart for more information, and/or contact your doctor.
†The pharmacist at Walmart does not endorse or recommend any sponsor or their products or services.
Any representation, performance claim, warranty or guarantee in any materials herein is the sole responsibility of the sponsor that has prepared such materials and is not independently verified by Walmart.
EpiPen®, EpiPen® Jr are registered trademarks of Mylan, Inc. licensed exclusively to
its wholly-owned affiliate, Mylan Specialty, L.P.; sub-licensee, Pfizer Canada Inc., Kirkland, Quebec H9J 2M5
Always read and follow the label.
THE FLINTSTONES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Hanna- Barbera. (s14)
Bayer, Bayer Cross are trademarks used under license. Bayer Inc. Toronto, ON M9W 1G6
To be sure that this product is suitable for you, always read and follow the label.
*1 ALEVE pill provides up to 12 hours of pain relief.
Bayer and Bayer Cross are registered trademarks of Bayer AG, used under licence.
ALEVE and Strength to Last Up to 12 Hours are registered trademarks of Bayer Consumer Care AG, used under licence. Bayer Inc., Toronto, ON M9W 1G6.
Zap® is a registered trademark of Pharmascience Inc.
Pendopharm, Division of Pharmascience Inc.