Whole Wheat Gingerbread
Price/Availability Effective Date: February 10, 2014
|1 cup||Great Value Unsalted Butter|
|1 cup||Golden yellow sugar|
|0.25 cup||Great Value 100% Pure Fancy Molasses|
|1||Great Value Large Egg lightly beaten|
|1 tsp||Great Value Artificial Vanilla Extract|
|0.5 tsp||Great Value Iodized Sea Salt|
|1.5 cups||Great Value Whole Wheat Flour|
|1.5 cups||Great Value All-Purpose White Flour|
|2 tsp||Great Value Ground Ginger|
|2 tsp||Great Value Ground Cinnamon|
|2 tsp||Great Value Baking Cocoa|
|2 tsp||Great Value Baking Soda|
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg, vanilla, and salt until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; add to wet ingredients and mix until well blended and dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before handling. If chilled overnight, allow the dough to warm up slightly or it may crack when it is rolled out.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C.) Line two baking trays with parchment paper, set aside. Divide dough into 4 pieces; roll out one at a time keeping the remaining dough refrigerated.
- Roll dough to ¼“ (½ cm) thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes using floured cookie cutters. Carefully transfer to prepared baking trays.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes, rotating trays top to bottom halfway through, or until cookies are set. Cool 1-2 minutes on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Yields approximately 6-dozen (72) cookies
- Chill time: 1 hour
- Make a simple Royal Icing to decorate; it will harden overnight making the cookies stackable for storage. Lightly whisk together 1 egg white and ¼ tsp (1 mL) lemon juice. Gradually beat in 1 ½ - 2 ½ cups (375-625 mL) icing sugar to desired consistency. Tint using food colouring, then pipe onto cookies using a zipper storage bag with the corner snipped off. Allow the icing to dry overnight before storing in an airtight container.
+Not available at Walmart.
++Available in select stores only.
* Estimated cost per person based on prices for ingredients listed in the recipe as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Like products may be substituted. Prices and selection may vary by store. Certain items not available in all stores, or at Walmart. Ingredient availability confirmed as of the Price/Availability Effective Date. Seasonal items available at peak only. Check with your local store or Walmart.ca for availability.
This article is intended as general information. Always be sure to read and follow the label(s)/instruction(s) that accompany your product(s). Walmart will not be responsible for any injury or damage caused by this activity.